Here you'll find the slides, handouts, and additional resources from MIND Research Institute’s Deeper Learning Symposium. At this event, participants engaged in thought-provoking discussions with pioneers in neuroscience, education, math and public policy. If you can't find a particular resource from the Symposium, please contact email@example.com.
Hear from a panel of education experts representing the major pain points of school leadership. Join an ongoing conversation on exactly how collaboration, innovation and perseverance will solve our math education crisis.
Advances in brain research have moved educators closer than ever before to teaching math the way the brain actually learns. Journey with us to uncover a neuroscience-based, unifying theory that interconnects disparate approaches to dramatically transform education.
• Meet the Mastermind Behind an Innovative, New Way to Teach Math
• Active vs. Passive: The Science of Learning
• Infographic: Brains, Games and Learning
• Research Shows Students Learn Better When They Figure Things Out On Their Own
What does it feel like in today’s math classrooms for English language learners? Take a deep dive with leading ELL education advocate and expert, Kathleen Leos, into the importance of teaching mathematical language and concepts simultaneously and how to make this a reality in your schools, classrooms and communities. Discover why good teaching methods for English language learners are good teaching methods for all.
• Infographic: Breaking Barriers to Math Success for English Language Learner
• What's Making a Difference in Math Education for ELLs?
• What If You Held Your Math Program Accountable for Long-Lasting Impact?
Everyone loves a good game, especially the young minds of our students. Learn how to leverage the unique motivation and excitement that is coupled with game-play to provide high-quality instruction that is both fun and effective. Hear from the experts about the transforming power of games and best-practices for educators who want to innovate their learning environments through game-based instruction.
• Infographic: How Game-based Learning Can Support Strong Mathematical Practices
• The Best Lesson: Learning from Failure
• Making Educational Games “Tantalizingly Tricky”
• The Role of Parents and Teachers in Game-based Learning
• 11 Lessons About Game-based Learning and STEM Education
Blended learning is more than an buzzword: it is a revolutionary way to engage students in deeper learning. Experience blended learning from the perspective of two practitioners who are changing the way their schools teach. Discuss the importance of using technology as a strategic instructional tool and how to create an atmosphere that encourages educators to truly innovate their learning environments.
• Blended Learning Models and Best Practices from Blended
Food is considered creative and experiential, by why isn't math? Hear from a brilliant pair, full time math professor and podiatrist, part time executive chef and sommelier. Draw upon the amazing parallels of mathematics and the culinary arts. Realize the power and necessity of mathematical creativity and taste some wine while you're at it!
• Taste of Math: An Event Showcasing the Flavor of Math
Whether, to your teachers, the Common Core is a close companion or a dreaded obligation, there still is much to learn! How can school leaders leverage the shifts of the Common Core to change math teaching? Common Core curriculum designer, Jill Diniz, shares her insider's perspective on what it takes to provide students with the highest quality math instruction.
What do mathematicians do on a day to day basis? Being a mathematician has little to do with arithmetic or number crunching and more to do with asking questions and exploring where those questions lead. Learn how curiosity, rather than calculation, is the ultimate mathematical superpower and how educators can foster this level of engagement and interest in their own math classrooms.
• A Day in the Life of a Mathematician: Games, Great Challenges & Learning
• Game Design Blueprint - a tool to help students plan and design their game
• Become a Game Designer - a list of steps game designers go through to create a game
• Make Your Own Game - a tool to help students organize their game
PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT
• Families Who Problem-Solve Together STEM Together
• Getting parents involved in STEM and STEAM education